Monday, September 8, 2008

I'm in a Jam!

Not really, it was just a fun title!

I am in jam up to my elbows though... I better make other types of jam, or I am going to be pretty tired of grape. I did a batch of grape on Saturday - 4 pint jars and 1 half-pint. Those are sooo cute! Then Sunday (I know, it was Sunday, but I don't consider making jam work. It is play time for me!) I did another batch. Plum-Grape! I like to combine recipes to make lots of yummy kinds of jam. Last year I did Apricot, Strawberry-Apricot, Apricot-Strawberry-Blackberry, and Strawberry-Kiwi. YUM!!! I started jelly today, which I have never done before, and is the hardest of the soft fruit spreads to do. It also takes the longest...

First, I have to simmer the grapes in a little water until the skins pop open. Then it sits for about 20 minutes. Then I line a sieve with cheesecloth and strain the pulp for juice. Then do the same thing with coffee filters. If I want it really clear, I let it sit for several hours, let the sediment settle, and then pour the juice in a coffee filtered strainer, leaving most of the sediment in the pitcher.

After all that, I then get to mix it with the sugar and pectin and seal it in the jars. Whew! I don't know how often I will be making jelly... But this will be interesting.

I did want to post a picture of the grape bags sitting on my counter, just to give you the idea of just how many grapes it really is!

I don't think I will be doing this again next year... ;-)

2 comments:

Stephanie said...

Huh, in my mind I kept picturing red grapes. Guess I'll need to change that particular mental image.

I think it's great that you change things around when making jam. That apricot-strawberry-blackberry jam last year was fantastic!

Kathy Whittle said...

Those are LOTS of grapes - where do you get them??