Saturday, May 17, 2008

Ha Ha! Finally!

Oren does not like tomatoes. At all. Now, it's not for lack of trying on my part. I make him eat at least one everytime I serve them. He is better with cooked, which is something at least. But they are really not something that he willingly eats and after eating the required bite, will pick the rest out of the food.

But today, he ate them! I had a bunch of leftover meatloaf from last night, and didn't want to just serve it again for lunch. So I cut it up and mixed it into a casserole we called goulash as children. Mark's family call it "the good stuff", which is funner, so that's what we call it in our home. Macaroni noodles, ground beef, canned diced tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce. Lots of shredded cheddar. I added last night's green beans too. Heated through, and yum! I wasn't sure how he would eat it, because usually I get "I don't like this, it has tomatoes!" But we have been talking about trying things before saying you don't like it, because you might. So he quoted that back to me, and then sat down. I was prepping myself for the usual fight, when I heard him exclaim loudly that he liked the tomatoes! "Mommy, what did you do to the tomatoes? How did you make them yummy?" I told him I cooked them. He ate his whole plate, and then asked for seconds!

It's nice when your hard work pays off.

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

That's so cool!!! Get him to talk to Samuel. He doesn't like tomatoes at all. The family tells stories of the time Samuel asked Mom to make spaghetti sauce "without the tomatoes." Haha!

Kathy Whittle said...

Yeah for tomatoes! When Emily was a toddler, she used to eat them like apples, with juice just dripping down her arms. Now she says she doesn't like them. Guess we'll just have to keep working at it now.

CissaLynn said...

That is great!!! :) My ten yr. old doesn't like them, either! Maybe there is hope!!! :))