I saw this on Steph's blog, and tagged myself. YAY!
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? If the gift I am wrapping is really wierd shaped and it is going to someone that doesn't live in my own little house, then I do a gift bag. I'll either buy them on after-Christmas clearance, or reuse a bag I have been given. I love to use wrapping paper though, so many different ones!
2. Real tree or Artificial? We are using an artificial tree right now, but sometime I will do a real one. We finally got a fake tree taller than I am!
3. When do you put up the tree? Ever since I can remember, the tree hasn't gone up until after Dec. 8, my birthday. We continued this into my own little family until this year. The boys really wanted to put up the tree, and so we did. For the first time in 25 years, the tree is up before my birthday. It feels a little wierd actually... :-)
4. When do you take the tree down? Generally a few days after Christmas, definitely before New Years Eve.
5. Do you like eggnog? I love eggnog, and always get soooo excited to see it on the shelf!
6. Favorite gift received as a child? I don't really have a favorite per se, but Dad made us cradles for our dolls one year and Mom made matching sheets. I would love to pass mine down to a daughter some day.
7. Hardest person to buy for? Mark. The man needs to write up an extensive wish list of stuff he needs all the way up to his dream toys.
8. Easiest person to buy for? Depends. Oren is very into anything outer space and science, and I am finding all sorts of neat things. I keep having to tell myself no because if I get him this thing I have to get one more thing for each of the other boys to keep it even!
9. Do you have a nativity scene? We own a cheap one that I would love to get rid of but Mark likes that we got from a "family dollar" type place in England. It has the most horrible electronic sound thingy that plays part of "Hark, the Herald Angels Sing". And fake spanish moss too. I picked up a small ceramic set that's missing one of the kings, very simple and unpainted, for 25 cents at the thrift store. I like it, even without the 3rd king. I would love to get more though!
10. Mail or email Christmas cards? Generally mail them, but I haven't even started on them this year. I think I forgot last year's too. Oops...
11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I got a "scented" candle that didn't smell very good?
12. Favorite Christmas Movie? Those old Kris Kringle and Rudolf ones! And Charlie Browns Christmas.
13. When do you start shopping for Christmas? Depends on the year. I start thinking usually about the beginning of November, unless I see something clearance that I already know the person would love. This year nearly everything was purchased by mid November, with just Mark's stuff left. He was done Black Friday, so there's a few stocking things and the candy to go.
14. Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I recycled a wedding present into a Christmas present... They actually like the style of object, and I would have just wanted to break it to have an excuse to get rid of it. Don't remember what it was, just that I didn't exactly love it.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? Chocolate covered pretzles, pistachios (Santa leaves them on the table on Christmas Eve.) and our breakfast casserole. I only make it once a year, and it drives Mark batty because he loves it.
16. Lights on the tree? Who doesn't!?!? We are using white cluster lights this year that don't blink. For some reason, the busy blinking iritates me, kind of without me knowing it. Too much stimulation.
17. Favorite Christmas song? Oh, Holy Night
18. Travel at Christmas or stay home? I'd rather stay at home. Too cold, bad roads, and who wants to lug gifts all the way over there and all the way back? Did it once, and won't every do it again if I can help it. And we have our little traditions, that I can't do very well at someone else's house.
19. Can you name all of Santa's reindeer? Yes.
20. Angel on the tree top or a star? I purchased a rusty metal star on clearance at Joanns last year. We used to use a thread/yarn angel ornament that Mom made years ago and gave me 3 of, kind of hung it on the top. I like it both ways!
21. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning? Christmas morning. Except for the new pajamas. We used to open our sibling presents Christmas Eve, but we haven't started the boys on getting gifts for each other yet, so I don't know if we'll do that with them or not. Probably...
23. Favorite ornament theme or color? I really like red. Red and gold. Throw some white in there to keep it clean looking. I love simple decor, not really big overdone. Every year the boys get a new special ornament, and I buy a gorgeous breakable one for me. I got brave and did red and gold glass balls on there too this year. We'll see how they hold up. (Steph, I think we have very similar tastes.... who's copying who?)
24. Favorite sense of the season (sight, hearing, smell, touch, taste)? I love the sights. Going house gazing, candles glowing, dim lights as we put all the gifts out Christmas Eve. (We don't dare put stuff out before hand, especially with William. I had a bunch of stuff wrapped and sitting on the bed, and he decided to play. I went in and he was jumping up and down amid a huge pile of wrapping paper and torn boxes shouting "YAY")