Friday, May 2, 2008

The day after...

Well, after rubbing the spice mixture on an 8 lb roast, figuring out how to saran wrap something that big, letting it sit all night, smelling like hickory smoke all day because I was adding charcoal and smoking chip packets every half hour, and setting the backyard on fire, wrapping it in a big paper bag to let rest for 1 hour, and getting the meat off the bone.... it didn't come out how it was supposed to. Don't get me wrong, it was good, just not Oh-my-word fantastic. I could do this in the oven with our cast iron smoker box thingy and get pretty much the same result, with a little less char... Or a smaller roast and finish it after oven smoking, in the crock pot.

The bread and brownies however were divine. I accidently made a double batch of bread. I dumped in all the flour instead of half and mixed the potato flakes in before I realized it. Oops! Well, I guess I am finding people who like sweetbread, because I have 4 round loaves, 1 bread pan loaf, and 12 dozen rolls (half of which were eaten last night). Those rolls were the best ones I have ever made, light and fluffy, wonderful texture! I haven't tried the bread yet, but I imagine it is just as yummy. No more store bought King Hawaii sweet rolls for us! The brownies were kind of fudgy, but somehow light, with this carmelized coconut topping on top. I'll be making these again, for sure.

I know you guys would love to see pictures, but Mark has the camera at Oren's school play. Why am I not there? Because my stomach kept me up most of the night, and I couldn't even help get the kids ready for school today, I kept running to the bathroom either to use it or to almost throw up in it. So he took the kids to school for Oren's play and I stayed here with William, laying on the couch trying to talk myself into breakfast. What's sad is Oren's play wasn't until 9:00, school starts at 8:20. By the time 9:00 came around, just a few minutes ago, I suddenly felt better, Pepto Bismal having kicked in, but I had no way to get to the school. Mark took the van, with William's seat. He has been talking about being a dragon in this play for 3 weeks and I couldn't go! I was able to get a banana down and if I keep taking Pepto, I should be okay for our weekend. I would reschedule, but if Oren needs glasses, I want to look at some places in Boise today. But I am glad I am feeling better, Mark will take lots of pictures for me, and I was able to give William a big hug without running for the bathroom. Now to get the boys clothes packed...

I will post pictures of the food later, I don't know if I will get to it today, but I will get them up sometime. Recipe's too, the pork tasted good, just not what he remembers. But I don't have a 50-gallon drum with hinges to bury in the backyard!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry you had to miss the school play :( As for not feeling well, for a while Steve was having problems with any food that we cooked in our smoker. Some people are just a little more sensitive to the charcoal that ends up in the food or something. We've gone back to either cooking on the gas grill or in the dutch oven, so that there isn't charcoal actually getting on the food. Hope you're feeling better!

Stephanie said...

That's too bad about not feeling well and missing Oren's play. I hope you feel up to enjoying your weekend. And I'm definitely looking forward to those recipes, especially the bread and brownies - I don't think I have the patience or the equipment necessary for the barbecue!

Rachel Holloway said...

Again, you are amazing for EVEN ATTEMPTING such a task! Good job on the effort! I am sure that was all that mattered!!

Hope you are feeling better and can totally enjoy your wonderful birthday weekend!

Melinda said...

That sounds like so much work!! sorry you have been feeling yucky, but glad you're better now! hope Oren's play went well!