Friday, February 22, 2008

So far, not so good.

Well, the nice day I was hoping for hasn't happened. Instead we got rain/snow mix. And in the middle of my workout the front desk at the gym paged me for a phone call. Who on earth would be calling me at the gym? My husband, who seems to have forgotten that I have a new phone and called the old one, which I didn't have with me. The reason for the call? Oren's teacher called and woke him up wanting to know if Oren had taken his meds today. Not good! So I called his teacher back to let her know yes he had. She was having a day with Oren such as they haven't had in a long time. Defiant, throwing things, refusal to do work.... We figured we would wait and see if his meds would kick in. Later she called back, Oren was sent to the office to see if sitting with the principal (who knows Oren by name at this point) could help him finish his work. I may have to go pick him up early today. He helped himself to the chocolate ovaltine this morning, that could be it. I hope so, because he has an appointment next week to talk about his meds and if this behavior continues (he has been this way at home for a while but usually does fine at school) I will have to talk to the doctor about adjusting him to a higher dosage. I don't want to have to do it, but his academics could suffer and he could be behind for years if he doesn't figure this out. I guess I am having a pity-me moment. I just want to cry, I am going to be getting these phone calls about my kids for years. Explaining why he is the way he is. Nasty people making comments about his behavior, getting told that he has gone to the principal...again. All I ever wanted was for my kids to be healthy and happy. Normal. I know there are people with much bigger challenges and trials than some behavioral issues, but some days are harder for me to be positive than others. Nathan shows most of the same behaviors Oren was at this age. School is just fine for him, but home life is hard. I don't know if he is learning them from Oren or if he has the same problem and we will have to go through the diagnosing and teachers, yada yada, that we did with his brother.

Sorry to vent, it was just a hard morning today. I'll be fine later, I think I just need to hug my little angel and let him know how much I love him. He is so sweet. This morning he told me that he will always be with me, even when he is at school, because he loves me so much. "We'll always be together, Mommy!" Yes we will Oren. And no matter how hard this gets, I will always love you!

2 comments:

Melinda said...

What a trying day! And how wonderful that there are sweet moments to balance it all out! Hope things get better with both boys' behavior and that things work out.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry to hear that you had such a very difficult day. Being a mom can be so much hard than we ever imaginined, I think, which makes the sweet moments of un-tarnished adoration from our children even more valuable. I hope that you have a better day tomorrow :)