Sunday, January 20, 2008

Job Possibility?

Yesterday I had the opportunity to go over to a friend's house and clean. Not just any clean, the "I'll pay you $50 to come clean for several hours." I would have gladly done it for free, but she was insistent that she was actually hiring me as house help. Okay by me, I love hanging out and sometimes it is refreshing cleaning other people's messes. Being a packrat, she finds it hard to declutter. I do keep certain things, but a random drawing a child made 2 months ago and hasn't looked at since and it looks like all the other drawings? Probably not. She thoroughly enjoyed learning how to let things go, like clothes with holes or old shoes. Lotions that were 5 or 6 years old. We got her bathroom spotless and her bedroom too. So 7 hours later I think I definetly earned the money, she has much more room in her closet and drawers, and is so excited that she wants me to come back and help with her downstairs Monday, and is talking about maybe making this a once a month thing. Apperantly I am much better at throwing things away and I am a quick yet thorough cleaner, and she likes it. I just got a kick out of it when she said I should advertise and do this in other people's homes. "HI, I have 3 kids and have issues with my own house, but please let me come organize and clean yours!" I do things like scrub baseboard corners with toothbrushes (just for that purpose :-) ) so maybe it's not a bad idea.... if I didn't have 3 kids and a house of my own to keep up with. Cakes and Piano lessons are enough right now.


I got the dresser finished. Here are pictures of the dresser and the drawer pulls.







William has a lot of fun touching the trim on the pulls. This was a dirty creamy color, with all the paint pulled off the inside of the top (it was a changing table at one point) and the front of the bottom drawer. A vast improvement...


I walked into the living room and caught Oren in this pose watching a movie. Too cute, and really shows his personality.

4 comments:

Melinda said...

I love the dresser! It makes me wish I could get myself to get down and finish my own furniture-re-finishing project. It's been sitting for two months now. Congrats on earning some money and feeling good cleaning someone else's messes!

Karen said...

Your dresser looks great! There's nothing wrong with taking money to clean someone else's messes. I did it for about 8 years. There's good money in it, but you have to charge more than $50.00 a day. I am glad you have the heart to help someone else dejunk, that can be a really tough job...I remember the days when it was hard for me.

Anonymous said...

The dresser looks great! And I love de-junking. Wouldn't you know I married a pack-rat? It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it can make it really hard to get rid of stuff when it's time to let it go :)

Rachel Holloway said...

Glad you got your dresser done. It looks great! Hey, when are you going to start posting comments on everyones blogs?!?! :)