Sunday, May 1, 2011

We interrupt this Springtime...

to bring some more snow! Honestly!!!!! We woke up Friday morning to a good inch of snow on the ground and I had to scrape the windshield to get the boys to school. Not cool.

We did enjoy some decent weather on Saturday, so after picking up our bountiful basket, I kicked the kids outside to enjoy the playground for a while. They came back in covered in sand but happy. Supposedly the owners of the apartment complex are coming this week to look around. If I manage to see them I think I will suggest they consider a different cushioning material at the playground. The local cats see it as one giant litterbox and ALL the kids, not just mine, love to dig in it. They have to wash their hands before they touch anything. So far nobody has gotten sick, but it's only a matter of time. Bark or gravel would be so much better.... *ewwww.*

As always my week ended up busier than I had planned out. I started a skirt for a friend, but she hasn't been able to come try it on so I could adjust the fit, so I ended up making myself a dress instead of finishing her skirt. The fabric was on sale and called to me, just perfect for one particular pattern I had, so I splurged a little. Most of my Sunday clothes I have had for years, and I hesitate to purchase or make anything really cute that fits me. Because I think I should wait until I lose all the weight, it's a waste until then. But..... I realized that even if I do lose a lot of weight, I can simply take the dress apart and cut it to a smaller size! So why not enjoy something cute and flattering to the size I am now? Today was the first time I wore it, and the dress received so many compliments. No regrets on my decision to go ahead with the project, even if the fabric wasn't exactly cheap. Being the size that I am, the days I feel good about myself are few and far between. But with my favorite pair of heels and this flattering dress, it was a good day!

I'll get a picture at some point, I'm still just really self-conscious about being in pictures.

Mark's birthday was today. We had the yummiest crock-pot chicken with cheesy sauce with his family. And the birthday boy requested brownies with that coconut-pecan frosting you put on german chocolate cake. So we had scratch homemade cakey brownies, and I toasted the coconut and pecans that went into the frosting. Let me tell you, that is the best german chocolate cake frosting in the WORLD! No kidding!!! Toasting the coconut brings out an entirely different dimension of flavor. Deeper and richer, more caramelly.... Yum! It went perfectly with the brownies, and everyone raved about it. It's just the recipe inside the german chocolate box, baker's chocolate brand. I just toast the coconut and add extra of it.

Cooking for people makes me happy. Lots of yummy noises.

He got a new Sunday shirt, because his are several years old and showing the wear. I also scored a good deal on some really nice new ties that he thought were cool. One has metallic threads so it looks different when you move it, different colors show up.

His parents also gave us a date night for his birthday. I took him out to Applebee's where he got a free birthday dessert. Those little dessert shots are just the perfect size to end the meal. Then we were going to see one movie but ended up at the wrong theater, so we saw Hoodwinked, Too. In 3D! I've never seen a 3D movie, so it was a new experience for us. The glasses barely stayed on my face. Then when we came out of the theater we both saw Wingers by where we parked. Both of us started talking about their wings, mouths watering. So, giggling like little kids, we went in and found that they had a to-go menu! Score! We pigged out on our perfectly sweet and spicy wings in the car all the way home.

To find....

That the kids had all fallen asleep. No surprise there, we got home just before 10. But...... we had taken them to Grandma's house, which is where they were asleep. His mom is an angel and had told us that if they fell asleep before we got home, they could stay the night. I think she put them down early just to make sure they could stay. *hahaha* So we headed back to our house for the night.

It was a very strange experience waking up this morning to no children. Mark had gone to work earlier and it was just me in the house. I missed my boys! Nobody throwing toilet paper in the shower, nobody eating 1/2 of 3 different bananas, nobody turning the tv behind my back.... Daniel's hug when I showed up at Grandma's with their Sunday clothes this morning was like manna from heaven.

As much as they drive me crazy, and as much as I treasure the small breaks I get from time to time... I got a glimpse of what life would be without their smiling and grimy faces. And I didn't like it. They are my reason for living, and the reason my house is a disaster. I love them!

This has turned into a very late night hodgepodge of things, somewhat rambling. And so I shall take myself off to bed where I should have been a long time ago. Good night!

No comments: