Saturday, May 24, 2008

Kitty Cat Cake

My friend's little girl is having her 8th birthday today, and they are doing a Cat party. (she loves her cat) My friend did all the work of baking the cake, and provided all the supplies for the frosting. But she is not a decorator and is not very confident. So I agreed to come finish the cake for her. I have not worked with this pan before, it is the new animal face one I just purchased, but it seemed easy enough. We wanted it to kind of resemble her cat, a calico tabby, orang and black with blue eyes. Voila! The result...

The ears on the pan are round, so I had to use frosting and build up pointed ears. Amanda says those are her pieces. :-) Being a perfectionist I can see all the little flaws and I wish I could have done better with the stripes, but I haven't done anything like this before. The pan is made for a bear, and has lines built in for a bear design, so that was interesting. It sure will taste yummy, and the kids think it is the coolest cake ever!

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

It's so cute!! And to think, I was on the phone with you while you were creating this beautifully adorable masterpiece! Wow!

I'm glad I got to talk to you today. I always look forward to chatting with you on the phone.

McD Fam said...

I never would have guessed it was a bear! So cute, I'll have to commission you to make my birthday cake:P

Anonymous said...

That is great! I've only ever decorated one of Kellen's birthday cakes, and it was unmitigated disaster :) That was for his first birthday and every year since then we have bought the cake somewhere! Don't tell anyone where the flaws are because I am quite certain that this little girl will love the cake just the way it is!

Michelle said...

Thanks! The cake went over really well at the party. All the parents thought it looked so cute, and the kids thought it was pretty neat too. I was able to save the very tip of one of the ears for my friend Amanda, like she requested, but the rest of it is completely gone! 15 kids plus parents all really enjoyed it. One of the parents said the frosting reminded her of caramel corn. I love that Watkins extract!

Kathy and Dave Whittle said...

So cute! Emily's birthday is this Friday, right inbetween 2 high school graduations. Any ideas for a simple girls party?

Michelle said...

Emily's turning 6 right? I don't know what all she is into, but and Disney princess is big with little girls, Strawberry Shortcake, some girls like Bratz... If it's easy you would like, any Walmart carries basic party supplies, some character supplies: pick a princess, get some invites, plates and napkins in that theme; a couple things of streamers and balloons; mosey down to the bakery department and find a girly cake with one or two of the colors in the party stuff; have them slap "happy birthday Emily" on it for you. Bakeries usually do that for free if it is something simple, because it takes about 5 seconds to do. I don't know if you are inviting kids, but goodie bags are required. But simple race games with candy bar prizes (my friend used giant pixie sticks) are always a good idea. Pinatas are big too, Oren loves them.

My mom does the ultimate in easy. Somebody bakes and frosts a cake. After dinner we bring it out with the ice cream and presents. Everybody sings and the birthday person gets to cut the cake and serve it. Presents are opened. That's it, no huge party, no stress. The birthday person does get to pick their cake and frosting and ice cream flavors.

Michelle said...

Sorry, I meant to say that goodie bags are NOT required!