Friday, April 11, 2008

My Favorite Things

I seem to remember Rachel doing something like this, taking a picture of one of her favorite things? Anyhow, it seemed like a neat thing to do, similar to the picture of the day challenge, which I will still do. Everyday, for a while, I will be taking a picture of one of my favorite things and posting it on my blog, along with a little history on the favorite thing or some other info on it.



Today's Favorite



This is my pothos plant. I have had it for over a year now. One of my good friends, with quite the green thumb, was pruning her houseplants. Now, pothos plants are really neat. There is a small nub on the stem of each leaf where it connects to the main stem. When you trim the plants, if this nub is placed in soil and kept moist, it will grow roots and become a whole new plant! So she took the trimmings from her oldest pothos, which is at least 7 years old, and planted them in a pot. I was the lucky recipient of this brand new little plant. I have taken it from a few leaves barely peeking over the edge of the pot, to beautifully lucsious greenery! It doesn't get potbound, is slow growing, and can go for up to a month without water without dying. the perfect plant. We did cuttings again 6 months ago and I now own 6 pothos plants scattered around my home. But this one still means the most.

3 comments:

Rachel Holloway said...

Yes, I DID post about favorite things. And I love the idea of doing it every now and then just to remember what is really GOOD about our lives.

I think your plant is SO wonderful to start with--what a great sentimental piece of your life!

Stephanie said...

I seem to remember you saying once that you'd do one to give to me... I don't know though, I don't think I've got what it takes to grow plants, if my herbs are any indication. :/

Michelle said...

Steph, you can't kill these I swear! I gave one to mom and it's still around... Just give it some water every couple of weeks and it's fine.