Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Oh, wouldn't it be nice?

Wouldn't it be nice if life was all sunshine and roses? Playdates and clean houses? Schedules that don't get changed? Wouldn't it be nice if I could post some happy little inspiring thing, to brighten everybody's day?

Yeah, it would be nice.

But that won't be the case. I am utterly exhausted. It is cold and windy. My friends flowers have started coming up, but no sign of mine. We had a large church playdate, but William wouldn't leave me alone. Mark called me at 8:00 tonight to tell me about a mandatory Air Force appointment we both have for 4 hours tomorrow morning, children not allowed and we both have to go. So I had to call around at bedtime for sitters, and people to run children to school. All the while the children were running rampant through the house beating each other up... literally. I had an extremly late light last night so I can barely keep my eyes open right now, and did not feel the least bit capable of handling this situation calmly and without panicking. I do not deal at all well with changes to my schedule. But, sitters were found and drivers for my son to get to school, thanks to some wonderful sisters in the ward and good friends.

I have not been home all day, so besides my children being tired and cranky, my house is a disaster. I am almost glad for an excuse to cancel my visiting teachers tomorrow. I just can't seem to get it together enough to get it clean right now. Going to the temple helped a little, but it isn't a magic fix. Which is pity, becuase I could really use one. Mark is making the boys clean their room right now, even though they need to be in bed because I will be waking them up early tomorrow.

I would love to write about all the happy things that go on in my life. But I think I just have a case of the blues at the moment. I don't know why, I hope it goes away so I can get back to being cheerful, optomistic me. It's not that today was a bad day. If I was feeling normal it would have been a fun day, my kids were listening and playing nicely, I wasn't stuck at home all day. I am just off right now. Hopefully I am feeling more myself soon.

3 comments:

Kathy Whittle said...

I'm sorry you have had a bit of a rough day. Don't feel too bad about your house - I don't have any toddlers/babies, and most of the time my house isn't fit for anyone to see it. Here's a quote I saw the other day that I really liked: “Life is like an old time rail journey - delays, sidetracks, smoke, dust, cinders & jolts, interspersed only occasionally by beautiful vistas and thrilling bursts of speed. The trick is to thank the Lord for letting you have the ride.”
(President Gordon B. Hinckley was fond of this quote by Jenkin Lloyd Jones)
Hang in there! You have one of the most important and probably most challenging jobs a woman could ever have.

Melinda said...

Sorry about all the run around and frustrations. Hope the meeting goes well today and that the boys all behave at their various sitters' places.

Aunt Kathy, beautiful quote, one that I needed to remember, too. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes all it takes is one thing to derail a reasonably nice day. I'm sorry it made your evening so difficult, and that it probably means missing your morning workout.
I really like Kathy's quote, though. One of my favorites is from Anne of Green Gables, where Anne is told that the sun will come up tomorrow whether she fails her algebra test or not. I remind myself of that a lot. As bad as a day may seem, the world isn't going to come to an end because of it :)
Hang in there! At least you know that you're not in it alone. You have friends there helping you out, and you have family who care what's going on with you :)